One of the great features of the site is that there are many ways to create new lessons.
We encourage you to invent new ideas when it comes to creating lessons, as creative teaching is the focal point of this site.
In this section, we will help to guide you through the steps that will make lesson creation a fun and exciting experience.
In our experience, this is the easiest way to record a lesson and will allow most students to learn effectively. All you need is a set of headphones, a microphone, and a screen capture S/W that will encode the movie at the end of the process. The S/W is free for use and under the GNU licenses agreement.
Here are the following steps for downloading, installing and configuring the Web site.
1. To download the S/W Cam Studio-Recorder, press here. Follow the installation instructions.
2. To download the codecs Lossless Video Codec, press here.
3. You might need a Zip file program to open the codec files. Use WinZip from here and install according to the instructions.
How to configure the CamStudio-Recorder for best operation?
1. Choose the Option menu and select the Video option
2. At the compressor section, select XVID MPEG-4 Codec. Then press the OK button
3. Make sure Record audio from microphone option is selected. If not, please select this option now.
4. Make sure the "minimize program on start recording" option is selected
5. At the "Program Options" under the "Directory for recording," select "Use user specific directory…" and specify the directory you want to store your captured movies in.
6. Under the "Name of AVI file" menu, select "Ask for file name". This will force the S/W to ask for the name of your file before it saves it under a default name.
7. Select the "Keyboard Shortcuts…" menu and configure the followings shortcuts. When done press the OK key.
8. Make sure the recorder is configure to "record to AVI". If not, press the toggle switch SWF until you'll see "Record to AVI" on the top right side of the screen capture.
• We recommend that you prepare your own presentation before starting with the capturing process. Otherwise, you can download other teachers' presentations from the Web site (please respect the copyright of the presentation creator by giving him/her credit of his/her work and mentioning his/her name at the beginning of the lesson, such as:"This presentation was originally created by… thank you for creating it”)
• While using the Cam Studio-Recorder, it’s recommended that you use full screen mode (default configuration). The S/W control buttons will automatically disappear while the S/W starts recording. Use the PowerPoint presentation in "presentation mode" to add animation if you have created it.
• Remember that the Cam Studio Recorder also detects and records mouse movement. If you wish to highlight something during the recording, mark it with the mouse. If you have nothing to mark, move it to the right side of the screen so it disappears.
• Speak clearly and slowly to the microphone. Avoid using a flat monotone that will bore your viewers. Important points during the lesson should be highlighted using different intonations of your voice. You may want to repeat important things and tell your viewers that the points you stress will be on their next exam.
• Each video you make should have an introductory slide that tells the student the material that you are going to cover during that lesson. At the end of the lesson, include all the important points in a summary slide to review them.
• An effective lesson is between 5-15 minutes long. Remember, children do not have long attention spans and if your video is longer than that, they will lose interest. If your video is over fifteen minutes long, split into two parts and upload them both under the same subject heading.
• In order to gain experience in creating these videos, you must practice every day. Even the best teacher is under pressure when he/she is recording something that others will hear and watch. Once you get the hang of it, you will be recording lessons like a pro. Remember to take breaks and use the pause key (F8) if you need to.
Here at theLearnia, we invite you to share your knowledge and experience with the thousands of students who are out there waiting for instruction. The learning begins with you, and the time to share your knowledge is now.